Jennifer Gilmore Photography's Fan Box

Jennifer Gilmore Photography's Blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Now I lay me down to sleep (NILMDTS) stillborn baby photos Hoag Hospital - Newport Beach, CA

WARNING - These are very sensitive photos. Please skip this post if you wish.

This past week was one of the most emotional weeks for me. Last Sunday I got a call that my brother's friends had gone into the hospital because the wife was having pre-term labor on Saturday - 20 weeks pregnant. Sunday they came to the conclusion that the baby would have to be delivered - and would not survive. They had originally asked if I would take their maternity photos and newborn pictures. When the nurse asked them if they would like someone from NILMDTS to come take photos - they immediately thought of me. They did not know at the time that I was a member of this group.
I went to the hospital with my brother at 8 - and hung out for awhile with them. The feeling in the room was more relaxing than I thought. Watching this couple was one of the most life impacting things I have ever seen. They were leaning on each other - and something that could break a couple - only made them stronger. Their strength they had during such a time of grief was amazing.
At 12:30 a.m. I went home because she had decreased her dilation to a 3 - and at 2 a.m. I got a call that their little boy had been born. When I got to the hospital - it was very emotional. But - again - this couple was amazing. Instead of grieving in the loss of their stillborn child, they thanked him for the opportunity to bring them closer as a couple, and helping them learn things in life that they needed to learn. Throughout the next few days I got some prints for them - and they have the funeral service on Saturday. I have never been so touched by a couple and their love for each other. They are both amazing people and I feel honored to be a part of their family's life.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

Evaly said...

What a perfect angel. They will be in my prayers tonight.

Sam's World said...

Thank you for helping this family.
You are a hero!
With warm regard,
Sandy Puc'
Co-founder NILMDTS

Roney Family said...

Jen, that is so sad. I am so sad for that family. But I do see how strong a couple they are. And luckily we have a great understanding of how the plan of salvation works. Although it was a sad day for their family, it seems like they will turn away with some amazing moments to capture. Very brave of you Jen. That must have been hard for all of you! Those photo's are touching.

Kelsey said...

Jen

Words cannot express what an angel you are to this family. These photographs will be their biggest gift out of all of this. Thanks for turning her to my blog, too. I will try to give her a few warm words. Also, thanks for having the strength to do this. It is no easy task but it sure does make you squeeze your own kiddos extra hard! =) Miss you!

Joanna said...

Wow. That's all I can say. What touching photos.

Stephanie said...

oops, I shouldn't have looked. Brought back very strong memories for me. You did a BEAUTIFUL job of capturing the whole experience and of the sweet baby. (we only have a few Polaroids and some "portrait" type of him) I can't wait to be able to be with our sweet Steven Douglas. I know families are forever and that knowledge gets me through the feelings of sadness in not being able to raise our son on earth.